ABOUT THE RUSSIAN PAVILION
UNDER THE AUSPICES OF
The Russian Pavilion in the Giardini in Venice was designed by Alexei Shchusev and ceremonially formally opened by Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia at a ceremony in 1914. Russian artists have participated in the Biennale Arte from its first Exhibition of 1895 and since then, over 800 Russian artists have shown work there from leading names like Repin, Malevich and Kabakov to emerging artists. Semyon Mikhailovsky was appointed Commissioner of the Russian Pavilion for the exhibition of Biennale Arte and Biennale Architettura in 2016 and will hold the post until 2021. The Russian Pavilion is supported by the Ministry of Culture of Russia and ROSIZO. The core funding for the project comes from private sponsorship.